Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Thoughts from the road





Well Erik and I are in Ely Nevada. We will be crossing into Utah maybe tomorrow. We had hoped to make it today, but our bicycles needed some attention.

So let me re-cap the last few days. We made it into Austin, NV from Middlegate. The day was filled with a huge climb and long stretches of open valleys. We chose the more senic and more challenging alternate route and were given a scenery bonanza. Who knew that Nevada was so mountianous? we made it into Austin around 6.

Austin was where we took our first zero day. We hunkered down in a hotel and rested and rested and skipped meals becasue we were busy resting. lol

So after our rest day we took off for Eurika... We had more mountians and more valleys. You can really get the sense of the ocean that covered this area a few million years ago. The geology is amazing. There were a few ranches, but for most part it was devoid of people. (They don't call highway 50 the loneliest highway for nothing!)

The night was cold! we slept in a rest station on the side of the road. The only phone available was at the county jail so I called home from jail... kind of funny.

Yesterday we had four big climbs and four long downhills. We did big miles and made it into Ely. I am guessing we are either getting stronger or crazier. We covered more vertical feet yesterday than we did in four days in the sierra's. There is not much to report as far as things we saw other than nevada is: say it with me... big mountians and bigger valleys...

Today we have to get some work done on the bikes and then we are off to see how far we can get out of Ely tonight. My body is tired but seems to be holding up.

Why I called this thoughts from the road is that you spend a lot of time thinking while grinding out the miles. I asked Erik about it and he seems to be thinking about the future alot. I can get that, given what he has ahead of him when he gets back. As for me... Well I covered a lot of my past... I have replayed many good and not so good times with all of you... over and over. I have also thought a lot about the future present and the possibility it brings.

One of these days I will remember to bring my camera in with me and see if I can add photos. If there is anything you have questions about leave a comment or e-mail me.

lots of love to you all. I can feel your energy and it has really helped me cover all of these miles.

try: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100166537273525461929.000001126873bbd7261f1&om=1&ll=38.852542,-121.393433&spn=3.020056,5.141602&z=8

5 comments:

PeteHoffmann said...

Way to go! Charlie and I just checked out the google maps thing- pretty cool. I have been following it since you started so keep up the entries. Smooth riding....

Brooksie said...

Are you still on your first pair of socks or did you get a second pair?
Keep up the good work!
Brooksie

JHS said...

Hey Tom & Erik - I don't know if you were trying to post a link to the map I am doing for you or some other one, in any case, it doesn't work. Here's the full link below, but you have to get the entire address into your browser with no spacing and w/out missing any characters. This website does not allow it to be fully posted. If you click my initials and then go to "My web page" you can get to it. There should be a way that you can set in in your home page too. A little complicated, but can be done yo.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?
hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=
100166537273525461929.000001126873
bbd7261f1&ll=36.421282,-107.929687
&spn=24.873292,41.132813&z=5&om=1

Jim said...

Tom & Erik:

OK, OK....so I guess you guys really are serious about this "let's-ride-our-bikes-across-the-freakin'-continent" thing. Are you proud of yourselves now? How the hell will the rest of us measure up? Dammit Gumby. Let's figure out a rest stop where I can come out and talk some sense into you two before it's too late for the rest of us.
Jim

ilostmyhaloagain said...

Tom,
I love that you're doing this, but miss you like crazy! Golf just isn't as much fun without you! Merc & Sofia are camping at Chez Donahue tonight, so all the girls will be together!

May the road ahead of you be smooth, flat and well paved!

Love,
Chrissy