Sunday, June 3, 2007

In the clothing optional hot springs with Little Debbie

Before you go blaming him for this posting, I should tell you that this is NOT Tom writing. Nor is it Erik. Nor is it any of the local talent we met in the clothing optional hot springs in Ridgway, Colorado last night. But then that's another story.

No folks, the truth is, this is Jim Donahue doing the guest blogger today. I just happened to be cruising down Highway 50 out of Grand Junction last Friday night and who should I run into but Tom and Erik on their cute little bikes. And it's a good thing I spotted them when I did because the scenery out here is so fantastic that anyone could be forgiven for driving past a train wreck! The purple mountains majesty are definitely all that. Actually they're snow-capped mountains, and I'm talking lots of it too.

But I digress. First, here's your on-the-spot report on Tom and Erik: they both look fantastic, somewhat slimmer, definitely hairier, and lving large in the U.S. of A. They are in GREAT spirits and quite obviously having the time of their lives. They're a little unhappy with their forward momentum to date--not covering as many miles each day as they'd like--but if you could see the size of these hills you'd understand. Frankly, I think it's amazing they've come this far this fast.

They press on toward very definite goals each day, usually 40-60 miles depending on terrain, and are normally setting up camp or tucking in to some roadside motel around 5 or 6. How to describe living conditions? Let's see: think of a frat house without the house.

Last night was so beautiful that we literally slept under the stars. We set up the tent because it looked like it might rain, but we ended up around a campfire with the full moon shining. We laughed ourselves stupid making up a new game that we haven't quite named yet but which we will be patenting and selling to Parker Brothers (or maybe MTV) in the next few months, so keep your eyes open. There are many variations, but the main theme is to come up with oddly juxtaposed pairings. Like: timid bookeepers and drunken archers. Endlessly entertaining and highly adaptable to all sorts of variations. Food marketing spokescharacters were another topic. Imagine Little Debbie in a switchblade fight with the Pillsbury Dough Boy. The funniest part is to wait until everyone is almost asleep and then blurt out a new pairing. Hilarious.

If Tom and Erik are having as much fun on this whole trip as I've had with them in the last three days, then we all have reason to be jealous. Everyone we meet is friendlier than the next person and they are all fascinated with the cross-country aspect of this effort. I will miss being with them when I return to Philly on Tuesday.

I have lots of pictures and video, so if you'd like to see them, give me a shout--or your email. I will be making a photo album for Mercedes--as soon as I finish the Costa Rica one.

Tom and Erik send their love and hugs to everyone ; if any of you would like me to hug you for them when I return, please call or write. I promise to shower first.

I'll try and squeeze in one more posting before I head home.
Best to all,
Jim

2 comments:

Brooksie said...

How much fun! Jim- I would love to see pictures- what is your email? Keep up the good work!
Brooksie

ilostmyhaloagain said...

Jim,
You left out the part about who opted out of clothes and who didn't.....
Chrissy